Car was running good. Haven't made any adjustments but main jets and squirters. Double checked carb for leaks or dirt and can't find either. Runs fine just won't idle down past 2k. Idled fine before jetting changes then sat a week. No linkages look bound and secondary and primary plates seem to close fine. Secondary shaft does have some play. If I spray carb cleaner in the secondaries I can see it seep out around the shaft.
Can't idle fast unless it has a vac leak someplace... My guess would be a damaged/misaligned gasket between metering block and main body...
Also forgot to mention that even with the plate removed..your fast idle cam linkage could be gumming up the works if it gets jammed. Lose the whole setup and plug that vacuum hole with jb weld or other good epoxy. Less parts..less variable..and looks cleaner too.
Getting the carb tuned in closer and closer. Took the car out last night for a 20-30 mile spin and see how it would act / perform. Tuning is close but there is something left on the plate for sure. After driving for a while and getting the car nice and hot it was shut off and sat for about an hour. When I went to start the car it wanted to hesitate actually firing up and when it did I noticed considerable black smoke for a few minutes....also was very non responsive like it was flooding out. Not sure if I've got the idle circuit too rich?? If it sits and the car is cold it starts just fine with no black smoke and no hesitation....not sure if its hiding the rich idle with the mallory multispark cold start feature all those boxes have. Any ideas? Other then what I mentioned there is no issues.....accelerates nice and smooth, idles fine, no bog or hesitations riding around. Thanks
Next time it does this, remove the primary bowl sight plug and see if fuel dribbles or pours out. Should just dribble or be just at the bottom edge of the hole.
Could be. Could be the float is sticking too. Or the needle/seat has got a piece of trash stuck in it.