cowl repair

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Mustangnut, Jan 6, 2014.

  1. Craig Selvey

    Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2002
    Messages:
    18,345
    Likes Received:
    1,397
    Trophy Points:
    878
    Location:
    Albany, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.

    He emailed me the pictures....so here they are. As one can see, the cowls are GONE!!
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Dave B

    Dave B I like Mavericks!

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2002
    Messages:
    16,931
    Likes Received:
    215
    Trophy Points:
    347
    Location:
    Parts Unknown......
    Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Wow! The only way to fix that, is to remove the cowl cover..
     
  3. Mustangnut

    Mustangnut Member

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    715
    Likes Received:
    18
    Trophy Points:
    85
    Garage:
    1
    Vehicle:
    2011 Mustang 5.0
    Easy on the old girl there guys!!!
    While I would love to pull the windshield and remove the whole cowl its just not gonna happen right now.

    My initial thoughts are to use por15 and fiberglass mat to at least seal it off and prevent further rust.

    Other than that I'm kind of at a loss but definitely open to ideas.
     
  4. Dave B

    Dave B I like Mavericks!

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2002
    Messages:
    16,931
    Likes Received:
    215
    Trophy Points:
    347
    Location:
    Parts Unknown......
    Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    The drivers side, looks rusted right into the seam of the firewall...Where are you? I've had Canadian cars not rusted that bad..
    I thought mine was bad, and this car came from Arkansas...
    [​IMG]
     
  5. Mustangnut

    Mustangnut Member

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    715
    Likes Received:
    18
    Trophy Points:
    85
    Garage:
    1
    Vehicle:
    2011 Mustang 5.0
    North Carolina.
    Wish mine looked like yours. Apparently who ever owned it years ago let it get clogged with pine needles and crap and never bothered to fix it.
     
  6. Dave B

    Dave B I like Mavericks!

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2002
    Messages:
    16,931
    Likes Received:
    215
    Trophy Points:
    347
    Location:
    Parts Unknown......
    Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
  7. Cruzin Illusion

    Cruzin Illusion Enigma

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2008
    Messages:
    1,133
    Likes Received:
    142
    Trophy Points:
    146
    Location:
    Commerce City, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber
    I am just going to come out and say what I think many are thinking, "Pull the windshield!" It is not that tough and it will save you a ton of time by just doing the repair correctly. If you keep trying to find a short cut you might as well find another car that has a decent cowl.
     
  8. Mustangnut

    Mustangnut Member

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    715
    Likes Received:
    18
    Trophy Points:
    85
    Garage:
    1
    Vehicle:
    2011 Mustang 5.0
    Never pulled a windshield before so kind of worried about that and having to weld the cowl cover back on lol. My welding skills are definitely lacking.

    Are the factory welds easy to spot and drill? Can the windshield be pulled by yourself?
     
  9. Cruzin Illusion

    Cruzin Illusion Enigma

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2008
    Messages:
    1,133
    Likes Received:
    142
    Trophy Points:
    146
    Location:
    Commerce City, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber

    Pull the trim and us an utility knife and cut the rubber seal. The window should then be able to push out the front. It is actually one of the easiest things you can do on the car.
     
  10. Mustangnut

    Mustangnut Member

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    715
    Likes Received:
    18
    Trophy Points:
    85
    Garage:
    1
    Vehicle:
    2011 Mustang 5.0
    Do you mean to cut the seal with a utility knife all the way around or just cut it in one area?
    Will I need a new seal afterwards?

    Guess pushing it out from inside I'll have to recruit some help so I don't break it lol.......

    Hmmmm drilling 187 welds doesn't sound like a whole heck of a lot of fun lol.
     
  11. Craig Selvey

    Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2002
    Messages:
    18,345
    Likes Received:
    1,397
    Trophy Points:
    878
    Location:
    Albany, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Yes, cut the seal all the way around. Yes....you will need a new seal.
     
  12. mav1970

    mav1970 Bob Hatcher

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2002
    Messages:
    10,633
    Likes Received:
    322
    Trophy Points:
    398
    Location:
    Mountain Top Pa
    Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 393 Cleveland Stroker
    I don't see much of an alternative with what I see lurking underneath the cowl cover - using any method other than replacing everything with new steel is going to be a crap shoot as to whether the repair is going to stay there or not - the main problem with using fiberglass is finding good material for it to stick to - after replacing my hats and a few sections with steel, I still had some pin holes to deal with but for that 2 good coats of POR 15 took care of it - I used a flashlight on every repair so could see if I was getting it all sealed in or not :)
     
  13. jtown77

    jtown77 Member

    Joined:
    May 2, 2013
    Messages:
    388
    Likes Received:
    46
    Trophy Points:
    123
    Location:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    71 Comet
    I'm in the same boat. My car came out of NC also. And both drivers and passenger side is gone. I bought mustang cowl repair parts. Then ordered some 8mm spot weld bits. Which turned out to be just a little small. Going to pick up some 10mm bits this week.

    As for welding. Are you using gas or flux core? Everytime I used flux core I burned more holes than I fixed. I shifted to gas, lowest power setting, and slow on the feed. You have to basically do a ton of little spot welds, unless you have a TIG. I started on the floor pans so I could get a lot of practice with my welder before getting into the cowl.

    Good luck
     
  14. Paul Masson

    Paul Masson MCCI Atlantic Canada Rep

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2002
    Messages:
    4,123
    Likes Received:
    752
    Trophy Points:
    463
    Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Saint John, New Brunswick Canada
    Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber
    There is a member right at this moment, cutting a rust-free cowl out of his parts car. I would contact him and see if it is worth your while to look into getting one from him.
    http://mmb.maverick.to/showthread.php?t=97180

    There are others here on the forum as well that specialize in parting these cars out so that the rest of us can have a chance at fixing ours. Craig hooked me up with MY cowl and I am glad I went that route. My repair method changed from making my own patches, to buying Mustang patches, to buying a cowl to use for pieces, to using the WHOLE donor cowl. I must say, I am glad I did.

    If I was even considering autocross like you are, I would definitely have that cowl fixed-up good and solid. With that much of your cowl missing, I would also be suspicious of the front floor pans and torque boxes.

    I used a 1-inch wide utility knife and laid the blade flat with the glas and cut all the way around the rubber. Once you do that, a newborn baby could push the glass out. I did mine by myself, but having a second set of arms to lift the glass over the car would be a good idea.

    There are tons of spotwelds and they're almost ALL 3/8", so that tells you how much stress that area has to deal with.

    Good luck, and if you have any other questions, etc feel free to PM me.:Handshake
     
  15. mav1970

    mav1970 Bob Hatcher

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2002
    Messages:
    10,633
    Likes Received:
    322
    Trophy Points:
    398
    Location:
    Mountain Top Pa
    Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 393 Cleveland Stroker
    I've gotten a lot of rust free southern body parts from Rick Brooks in Texas - maybe he can help you out :yup:
     

Share This Page