302 draining coolant help

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Mustangnut, May 28, 2014.

  1. Mustangnut

    Mustangnut Member

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    715
    Likes Received:
    18
    Trophy Points:
    85
    Garage:
    1
    Vehicle:
    2011 Mustang 5.0
    Well I can't get either of the block drain plugs out......is there another way to drain the block enough to swap heads. I would just pull the heads but I don't want to contaminate my oil. Ive already drained the radiator and disconnected all lines......started to take the head bolts out when I saw coolant coming from the bolt location......luckily that was the 1st bolt I loosened so I don't think it has gotten in my oil.
     
  2. dyent

    dyent Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2012
    Messages:
    1,195
    Likes Received:
    466
    Trophy Points:
    258
    Location:
    vancouver bc
    Vehicle:
    1973 Comet 2 dr., 302 w/AR aluminum heads, Toploader 4 spd, 9" Trac-Lok w/3.70
    you can remove the intake and siphon out the coolant from each bank, most of the coolant should have been drained low enough so should not be too much left when you remove the intake.
    can also remove the water pump and siphon the coolant from the block too, again will have to do both sides of the block.
    even after you remove the heads, there still will be a little coolant that will fall into the cylinders, can be easily mopped up or wet/dry vac out.
    won't hurt anything and you probably will be changing the oil anyways.....
     
  3. Krazy Comet

    Krazy Comet Tom

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2012
    Messages:
    7,801
    Likes Received:
    2,485
    Trophy Points:
    531
    Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Dismal Swamp
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    You can remove the lower, rear, head bolt on each side and siphon out the coolant with a small hose or piece of tubing... Or you can remove the water pump and siphon out the openings in the timing cover, but that is often hit or miss...
     
  4. baddad457

    baddad457 Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2007
    Messages:
    5,861
    Likes Received:
    141
    Trophy Points:
    171
    Location:
    Opelousas La.
    You need to bite the bullet and change the oil, regardless of whether any coolant gets into it. There will be other trash to deal with too, not just coolant.
     
  5. rthomas771

    rthomas771 Member

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2008
    Messages:
    8,093
    Likes Received:
    981
    Trophy Points:
    498
    Garage:
    1
    Location:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    '74 Maverick 302 5-Speed.'60 Falcon V8. '63.5 Falcon HT
    X2 on changing the oil
     
  6. 71gold

    71gold Frank Cooper

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2002
    Messages:
    26,590
    Likes Received:
    2,938
    Trophy Points:
    978
    Garage:
    1
    Location:
    MACON,GA.
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    X3 on the oil change...
    I would run some cheap oil in it for about 5 mins to flush out any water/coolant that is in the heads/ valley. then put the good stuff in w/filter change.
     
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
  7. Craig Selvey

    Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2002
    Messages:
    18,345
    Likes Received:
    1,397
    Trophy Points:
    878
    Location:
    Albany, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    X4 on changing the oil.
     
  8. Mustangnut

    Mustangnut Member

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    715
    Likes Received:
    18
    Trophy Points:
    85
    Garage:
    1
    Vehicle:
    2011 Mustang 5.0
    Oil change it is then lol. Instead of buying new cheap oil to run for 5 mins and changing should I just run the motor with the old oil in it for a few minutes and then change to good oil and a filter change?

    My budget is tight as it is, especially after a 230 bill from the machine shop lol.

    I'll probably just siphon the coolant from the lower rear head bolt since that was the first bolt I started to pull when I got my leak anyways.

    Thanks guys.
     
  9. groberts101

    groberts101 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2007
    Messages:
    4,166
    Likes Received:
    535
    Trophy Points:
    297
    Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Minneapolis, MN
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    and if you jack the motor up a bit while using that method.. the coolant level will drop below the point of much.. if any contaminating the valley or cylinders when the top end gets pulled apart while it's resting back down on the mounts again.

    With a head swap the lack of intake gasket removal requirement lessons the contamination chances but cleaning the leftover head gasket material off without any debris contaminating the oil or water passages/bolt holes is the bigger hurdle most times. Lots of towels and bits rags in the water passages along with a shop vac before pulling them all back off is usually the key to a nice clean job that doesn't require an oil change. Seen and done it many times and you should always attempt to be extra clean even if you plan on changing the oil anyways.
     
  10. 71gold

    71gold Frank Cooper

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2002
    Messages:
    26,590
    Likes Received:
    2,938
    Trophy Points:
    978
    Garage:
    1
    Location:
    MACON,GA.
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    doing that will just mix the oil and water in the oil passages and lifters...you don't want antifreeze to sit in any part of your motor for any length of time.
    when I run in a new build, after about 50 miles I change the oil and filter. this to me flushes out all the passages of any thing that is inside the motor.
     
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
  11. 71gold

    71gold Frank Cooper

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2002
    Messages:
    26,590
    Likes Received:
    2,938
    Trophy Points:
    978
    Garage:
    1
    Location:
    MACON,GA.
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    I would think all the water should be below the heads if you drained the rad....
    maybe not if the T-stat bypass hose is crimped or stopped up and no holes in the T-stat...:huh:
     
  12. baddad457

    baddad457 Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2007
    Messages:
    5,861
    Likes Received:
    141
    Trophy Points:
    171
    Location:
    Opelousas La.
    Running it as is will give any trash in the oil time to get sucked up into the oil pump, something you don't want to take unnecessary chances with . But it's your car and wallet.
     
  13. Mustangnut

    Mustangnut Member

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    715
    Likes Received:
    18
    Trophy Points:
    85
    Garage:
    1
    Vehicle:
    2011 Mustang 5.0
    My reasoning for running it was allowing trash thats not in the oil pan thats lingering around the heads, etc, etc to get in the oil so its changed with the oil. I'm worried I'll put fresh oil and filter on it and then pick up all the trash and be in the same position.

    I took quite a lot of care to keep everything really clean so I shouldn't have much trash in it, hopefully lol. I ended up just pulling the heads and there wasn't much coolant left in the heads that came out after draining the radiator. Had to do a little bit of mopping in a few cylinders.
    Good news is that the pistons and cylinders look really good.

    Hopefully with any luck I"ll have the intake back on today and be able to test fit the pushrods and rocker arms......and with good luck everything will be good so I can change the oil and fire it up.
     
  14. baddad457

    baddad457 Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2007
    Messages:
    5,861
    Likes Received:
    141
    Trophy Points:
    171
    Location:
    Opelousas La.
    As for the trash in the oil now, you can wash that down with diesel fuel or gasoline, then drain the old oil.
     
  15. Mustangnut

    Mustangnut Member

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    715
    Likes Received:
    18
    Trophy Points:
    85
    Garage:
    1
    Vehicle:
    2011 Mustang 5.0
    Good idea. I washed the trash down with some spare gas I had in the garage. The intake is torqued down. Once I get the pushrods in and all the rockers bolted down I'll be ready to drain the oil and add some fresh stuff in for the first start.
     

Share This Page